Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Doing nice things with Intraweb + jQuery!

Well, the first example I saw using Intraweb and jQuery playing together was a nice post from Hadi Hariri (Originaly here, but the page is gone. You still can read it in google cache, here).
Then, in IW 10 I saw a new component "TIWjQueryWidget". Fotunately, it came with sources, and I could see that it is simple, very simple indeed.
I already knew a little about jQuery and I saw that it would be relatively simple to use in with Intraweb (would it?).
What do you think that IW misses most? For me: Maybe, a nice Ajax enabled data grid, modal dialogs, a nice looking page control/tab sheet container, some mask inputs and some other minor things. Well, I've started from the most challenging one (at least, before any knowledge about it!): the data grid. I've choosen jQGrid. A nice, beautiful, simple and well written ajax grid. I wish (Win32) Delphi's DBGrid was as good as (Web) jQGrid!
Many, many hours of work during my spare time, almost a second divorce ;-) and voilá! I've made it work! Not much Delphi code, but due to the lack of Intraweb source code, books, articles and examples I had to search every little piece of information in newsgroups, blogs and IW - very restrict - sources. Now I see why IW is not a killing framework to create web applications: Chad kept the source code closed for toooooo damn long (still today)! It is just too hard to understand the "meat" of IW without the source code! The reason that thousands of developers started to write good components for Delphi - making Delphi a terrific tool back in 1995 - was just because the best teacher was there in your hard disk: RTL/VCL sources!

Well, back to IW + jQuery: The jQGrid is working. A limited version of it, but it works pretty damn good for now. I'm proud and happy to use it today in a production environment, in a respected brazilian bank (internal) web application. This bank is among the 60's biggests in the world. For you foreigner that may ask "what? a brazilian bank?". You'd better think twice! Brazil has one of the most advanced banks in the world, when we talk about software and technology (the same can be said about elections! After all, we knew our next president 3 HOURS after the voting finishes ;-) ).

Soon I will put some IW + jQuery demos live, at work!

Below a little screen shot of my IWjQGrid using the old "country" table, from Delphi demos!



I would like to know what you think about it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

gostei deste web grid! Vai publicar os fontes?

Anonymous said...

That's great, can you share your code, or get us started in the right direction. it is something that I would be really interested in. Thanks

Alexandre Caldas Machado said...

Yes, I intend to share the source code. I just have to organize it a little bit. Maybe other users will use it and help to extend and improve it.

Regards

fabricioaraujo_rj said...

Português: O maior problema com as urnas eletrônicas em diversos países é a desconfiança de que a urna pode ser manipulada mais facilmente do que os votos manuais - e não há como fazer recontagem dos votos, uma vez que já estão agregados.

English: the biggest issue is the suspicion that eletronic urn can be manipulated easier than paper ballot (AFAIK, this is the name they call it) - and there's no way to do an manual recount, since they're already aggregated.

Gene said...

I too would like to see your code. I've been having trouble getting any JQuery working right with Intraweb and am on a tight schedule. Any little piece you can share would be helpful. Thanks.

Alexandre Caldas Machado said...

@Gene: Please send me an email to alex7691 at gmail dot com. Maybe I can help you.

Danilo said...

It would be great if you could share your code.
You did a fantastic job!

Unknown said...

Você poderia compartilhar o código fonte, para efeitos didáticos seria excelente.

木头人 said...

Can you email me the source file? thanks in advance!

my email is:bnpysse@yahoo.com.cn

Diego said...

Tem como mandar postar os fontes desse exemplo e responder meu post com o link? fico grato. Pode ser do jeito que estiver.

PDI Spirit said...

did you ever make the source code available, anywhere?

Anonymous said...

Will you be sharing your solution anytime soon? I would like to use jqgrid in a current IW application and I'm certain the proper approach. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Rick.
rhazell AT microcalm DOT com

Unknown said...

boa tarde,

gostaria muito de ver este exemplo, por favor em passe o fonte para verificar o que foi feito, agradeço.
mgeweb@gmail.com